Saturday, December 24, 2011

Discussion on Nibanna (Part 2)

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Admin
Date


Sukihotu,

I started a discussion on the topic of Nibanna yesterday. You can read my article here.  I'm pleased to share with you the first respond from a Buddhist friend. She says....



"Hi Bro Bugs,

It is a little "scary" to post a response to this forumbecause one can get shot down pretty bad....But for you, I'll respond...thoughI don't have much "meat" (for want of a better word) to add to whatyou have already written.

Let me first qualify that what I write below are purely my own thoughtsand not attributed to any Sutta whatsoever.  

Sukihotu. 

Thereis no respond from the forum on the topic. Perhaps I should to add some spice.

The3rd Noble truth explain that suffering can be ceased. The way to stop itis revealed on the 4th Noble truth. Which is the 8 Fold Noble Path orsometime known as Middle ways. This is a formula the Buddha has taught us.

So when onestrived hard to lead a wholesome life and avoid evil. He puts in alot of effortand time to clam his mid through intensive meditation. With shear determinationand practice of a noble life over the many years, he makes a break through. Thedoor opens for him to enter the stream to become a Sotapanna.

I've heard that too.  

Hestrives on this same path to reach the next height. He may run out of time andexpire. But soon after he gets his re-birth he continues where he continues towork on where he has left off in his previous life. But, there are also manycase where people could reach all 4 stage of sainthood within one life timeitself. Anyway, when one work hard enough with full commitment and gainedknowledge that could completely eradicate ignorance, he reaches the thresholdof becoming an Arahant. 

It is our wishas a practising Buddhist to become an Arahant. So that we can escapethe samsara world of suffering. We want to beat the cycle of death and re-birthso that we  suffer no more.

Here's where I beg to disagree, not from a Buddhist point of view, butfrom what I think I understand from my own practice. 

For me, a practising Buddhist is one who strives to do good for thebenefit of all sentient beings.

The state ofArahant can be attained when one, to put it very simply, does good, avoid eviland purifies one's mind. And the purpose of doing this is simply because it'sthe RIGHT thing to do.  It brings about peace and harmony to the rest ofthe world.

It isn't about escaping suffering or samsara. If it is, isn't there atinge of greed in there, ie. "I'm practising so that I can escapesuffering. I'm doing it for myself".  Where's the element ofcompassion in that intention, I would question. 

Again, for me, if we practise for the sake of ourselves (so that wedon't have to suffer anymore in the cycles of rebirth), there is selfishnessand greed. But if we practise the teachings so that we become better people,and in doing so, we do more good for others, I see compassion and wisdom inthat. I see generosity and unconditional love. I see the 4 Brahmaviharas putinto practice.  


My understandingis that when one become an Arahant, he has let go of everything.

For me, he has let go of greed, hatred and delusion.  He certainlyhas not let go of unconditional love, compassion, altruistic joy andserenity. 


He has no morecraving (tanha) for anything else in the world. Nothing is importantly to himany more.

I think doing good is still important to him.  The Buddha continuedto teach for 45 years for the benefit of the many.  He did not just sitand enjoy his Nibbanic bliss.  

He does not needanything at all.

He still needs to eat, to be given medication when sick, he still needsshelter, etc. as he still has a physical body.  

With that inmind, he does not create any kamma.

I'm notsure about this, Bro Bugs.  

What isyour definition of kamma?  

From myunderstanding, Kamma is intention.  Doesn't he still do things with (good)intentions?  

And when thereis no kamma, there is no vipaka.

Vipaka isthe effect of kamma in the mind.  Phala is effect of kamma in the body. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

I heardthat once a being is enlightened, he would still feel pain if someone hits him,but he would not suffer in the mind.  It's like Late Chief saying,"When the body is sick, do not let the mind also be sick".

Thus, there isno condition at all for these tanha-less kamma to take fruition.

That Iagree.  Tanha-less kamma - yes.  Because all intentions are withoutcraving now.  They are all good intentions, hence, good kamma.  

That is not whatthe Buddha says. That is what I (Bugs Tan) say.

And Bugs Tan may well be right!

I don't know what the Buddha said, though.  His words went through400-500 years of oral recitation/transmission and were only written down afterthat by humans. So does anyone really don't know what the Buddhasaid? 

But here's what I DO know based on what I've been told AND what feelsright to me - The Buddha attained enlightenment (grasped all the knowledge) bylooking deep within him, not from any teacher or deva or encyclopedia, but fromwithin his own mind.  The Buddha said (again, from what I've been told)that we too can achieve that. 

So in quiet moments of deep contemplation, coupled with our ownexperience in practising the teachings (doing all the good we can with noselfish intentions), may we not also be able to find some truths within ourselves? 

For discussionsake, I would like to think that when one reaches arahanhood. It's like he hasbeaten the law of kamma.

What about good intentions begetting good?  That's the Law of Kammatoo, isn't it?  

The law of kammais simple to understand. That is, you get what you sow.

Sow in your mind (as all actions begin with an intention). 

If you enjoythis life time and seek for more. Rightly, when your condition is right, youwill be re-born on this planet again.

Or other planets in another solar system, free from environmentalpollution, cruelty to animals, dishonest politicians....

Therefore,when one reaches arahanthood without any craving nor wish to come back again,he is said to have beaten the law of kamma. He doesn't get any re-birth.

Right? 

Don't know, Bro.   

Now here's moreto what I've in mind. I would also like to think that kamma is like energy. AndI also think Kamma energy cannot be created nor destroy. Just like the law ofenergy which says energy cannot be created nor destroy. Energy can only changefrom one form to another.

Agree...about the energy part.   

Similarly, whenan Arahant dies, his kamma energy did not disappear just like that. It turnsinto other energy. I would like to think (or you can say imagine)that these tahna-less energy has transformed into natural energy.The tanha-less kamma energy  simply turned into natural energy likewater, vapour, gas, wind, light, smell, colour, metal, wood, heat, fire andetc. Without tanha, these energy just transform into any form that could fitinto any of the 31 plane of existence.

I think it would have nothing to do with the 31 planes anymore as thoseare still samsaric planes. 

About conversion to natural energies, I don't know.  

But I think that's what the Native Americans believe in - that one canbe reborn a the river, the wind, etc. And that is why they live in harmony withNature (but they scalp each other brutally!).    

The bottom line is, I think we have no capacity to comprehend the stateof Nibbana until we reach there, so while we are here on planet Earth (with allits shortcomings), I think it is more important to make our lives useful bydoing what is right - helping others, and helping to make this Earth a morepeaceful and harmonious place to live in.  For this, the practice of the 4Brahmaviharas and the 5 Precepts would be good.

There you are.These are my crazy thoughts. (smiling to myself thinking how silly this ideacan be). Perhaps some of you would like to comment. 

The above are my crazy thoughts, too.   

Bythe way, here is a scientific explanation on the law of conservation of energyfrom Wikipedia.

The nineteenth century lawof conservation of energy is a law of physics. It states that thetotal amount of energy inan isolatedsystem remains constant overtime. The total energy is said to be conserved over time. Foran isolatedsystem, this law means that energycan change its location within the system, and that it can change form withinthe system, for instance chemical energy can become kinetic energy, butthat energy can be neither created nor destroyed. In the nineteenth century,mass and energy were considered as being of quite different natures. 

Happy holiday. Drivecarefully. May you be well and happy.

Happy Winter Solstice, everyone.

And may all beings (in samsara or elsewhere) be well and happy.

With metta,
Karen (no her real name)"

I'll post afew more respond over the next few days. If you have any comment pls share with us.

Mettacittena
25th Dec 2011




0 comments:

Post a Comment