Saturday, September 24, 2011

Sikhism

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Admin
Date


Sukihotu,

There are many religions in this world and I think will bring benefit if we get to know what is it all about. So that we could learn to tolerate one another and  lived in harmony in a same community.

Thanks to Hutson Smith's book Religion of the World, I've come to understand some of the religion better now. Over the past few weeks I've shared with you some information on JudaismHinduismConfucianism, Buddhism, Islam and Taoism. Today, kindly allow me to share with you about Sikhism.

Hindus are inclined to regards Sikhs (literally disciples) as somewhat wayward members of their own extended family, but Sikhs rejects this reading. They see their faith as having issued from an original divine revelation that inaugurated a new religion.


The revelation was imparted to Guru Nanak, guru being popularly explained as a dispeller of ignorance or darkness (gu) and bringer of enlightenment (ru). Nanak, pious and reflective from his birth in 1469, around the year 1,500 mysteriously disappeared while bathing in a river. On reappearing three days later he said: "since there is neither Hindu nor Muslim, whose path shall I follow? I'll follow God's path. God is neither Hindu nor Muslim, and the path I follow is God's." His authority for those assertions, he went on to explain, derived from the fact in his three day absence he had been taken to God' court, where he was given a cup of nectar (amirt, from which Amritsar, Sikhsim's holy's city is named) and was told :-


This is the cup of the adoration of God's name. Drink it I am with you. I bless you and raise you up. Whoever you will enjoy my favor. Go, rejoice in my name and teach others to do so also. Let this be your calling.


Hutson Smith

May you be well and happy.

Mettacittena
Bugs Tan
25th Sep 2011



0 comments:

Post a Comment