Saturday, June 4, 2011

How Did The World Begin?

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Admin
Date


Sukihotu


About 2 dozen of old classmates of mine met-up last night for a get together re-union dinner. It was a joyous occasion to see old friends in our 50s now. There are a few of them whom I've not seen since we left High School Klang in 1978. That's 32 years ago. Most of us now have grey hairs and round tummy. One joke about it and said "we can't grow taller, that's why we grow side ways"

I had a wonderful time catching up the good old days. In fact being a youth in High School was the best time of my life. I also had an opportunity to catch-up with Lennon (not his real name). We touched on spirituality. He and I have already discussed some issues on Facebook. But last night was a golden opportunity for us to discuss face to face.

Lennon, whom I suspect is a Christian asked me how I quench the thirst for questions that doesn't seemed to have a satisfactory answer. He went on to explain what he meant. He said different religion believes in different things. He asked if I believe in "spirit?". He asked how the world came into being? He said human being is created in resemblance to the features of God himself and asked what do I think about it?

Lennon has many good questions.

Knowing his need for a logical answer I immediately brought up the story of the poison arrow

The Poison Arrow
The story of the poison arrow goes like this. During the time of the Buddha about 2,550 years ago. There was a person who have approached the Buddha and asked him some questions that has been bugging him for a long time. He asked who created us? When does the human being first came into existence? Why does human being exist? How did the universe first started? And when will it end? Why are there stars and how did they come into being? How big is the Cosmo system and when will it end? Was there a God? Did God created all this? And many more questions.

In reply, the Buddha told him a simple story.

The story goes like this. A long time ago there was this man who was shot by an arrow. When being shot, he asked many questions. Who shot the arrow? What is his name? What is his social standing in the society? Is he married? To whom did he get married to? What type of tree is the arrow made-off? Who made the arrow? At what angle did he shot the arrow? How far was he when he shot the arrow? And many more questions.

The Buddha then stressed a point. He said, we should be aware of the time we have being a human being on earth. We do not live very long. Therefore instead of seeking for answers to questions that is of no important to us. We should quickly pull out the poison arrow and heal the wound. We should spend time cultivating good values in our lives. Which will bring good deeds. We should walk and practice the correct path which will lead us to Nibanna. Where all suffering will cease.

That's what we should do advised the Buddha.

My parting words
I then summarized my conclusion by telling Lennon that I don't ask question anymore. I don't asked why am I born. I don't ask why the earth rotate this way and not that way. I don't ask if there is really a all mighty creator GOD. I don't ask question that I know I can't find a satisfactory answer.

I realized our human mind is too shallow to understand the complexity of the mechanic of the universal system as well as the science of a human being itself. I've put these questions aside. But instead I put effort in keeping the 5 precepts daily. I also practice the Noble 8 Fold Path. And I'll continue to walk this path till the end of my life

"And let the blessed one teach the Dhamma
Let there be no beings,
Through not hearing the sublime Dhamma waste away,
There are those with little dust in their eyes,
They will understand the Dhamma"

- The Brahma Sabampati exhorting the Buddha to teach the Dhamma


I hope you enjoy reading this article as much as I've enjoyed talking to Lennon last night.

Mettacittena
6th June 2011



0 comments:

Post a Comment