Sunday, July 17, 2011

Can a Monk Receive Datukship

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Admin
Date


Sukihotu,


I have an old friend knocking my door and ask me if a monk can receive Datukship. Datuk is knightship conferred to someone in recognition for his contribution to the society.

My answer to him is yes. A monk can receive anything that is given to him for his benefit, for his good health or for his training. He can receive a Master degree, a PhD, Professorship, Datuk, Tan Sri, Sir and etc if he earns it.

But most monks decline it because they have specific path to take. And having all these extras does not benefit to him spiritually. Hence most monks decline such title when offered.

Monk is a member of the Sangha which lived by the Vinaya rules set by the Buddha. There are 227 strict rules a monk must follow. Please see the explanation from Wikipedia here.

Whether it is right or not for a monk to accept such accolades is still heavily debated among people in the Buddhist community. It is easier said than done. I am sure this matter has been brought to discussion in many temples, many associations, many monasteries and many coffee shops. It does not have a straight answer.

But in my humble opinion I feel a monk should decline such title. because these titles are meant for lay people. Why should a member of the Sangha carry a worldly title when you have already renounced world life to take-up the saffron robe. I strongly believe that if you are a monk, then you should live like a monk. Same goes to lay people. If you are a lay person, then you should live like a lay person and not behave like a monk.

I hope you are agreeable with my opinion. Otherwise please share your thoughts with here with me.

Mettacittena
17th July 2011



0 comments:

Post a Comment